Rx for Discovery Reading Workshop
The Rx for Discovery Reading training takes the five essential components of reading – phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary and reading comprehension – and systematically teaches NILD educational therapists and classroom educators how to use the NILD materials and methodology to develop these components.
The training is designed to model how to weave these components, that we call “strands of language” into a language braid that is comprehensive, constructive, and creative.
Once the Rx for Discovery Reading training is completed NILD educational therapists and classroom educators will be able to work with students in a one on one situation or in small groups and effectively and efficiently develop decoding and encoding skills in their students.
Successful completion of this course will enable an NILD educational therapist (ET) to identify and assess student needs in basic reading and utilize the group model Rx for Discovery Reading to teach students basic reading skills.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
1. Communicate an understanding of the differences between group and individualized interventions.
2. Demonstrate an ability to work with groups of 4-6 students in the teaching of basic reading skills.
3. Communicate the theories of mediated learning in a group setting.
4. Design a plan for group implementation that would meet the learning needs of a specific group of students.
5. Communicate the differences between educational therapy and small group intervention in basic reading skills.
- There are no prerequisites BUT there is a preparatory assignment and required materials to purchase. Click above to download the workshop syllabus for more information.