Rx for Discovery Writing Workshop
Rx for Discovery Writing is a lecture and laboratory workshop designed to train teachers to provide written language intervention in a group setting. Rx for Discovery Writing is specifically intended for students in grades 4-12 whose basic written expression skills are below expected standards as determined by a local educational agency.
Rx for Discovery Writing will build and strengthen grammar and writing mechanics, semantics, syntax, and composition writing skills with an emphasis on the writing process.
This intervention can happen within three 40-minute, weekly small group sessions or two 60-minute, weekly small group sessions. Students who need to master basic grammar and writing skills will most benefit from this program. Though handwriting and spelling skills are utilized and applied, these skills are not explicitly taught in this intervention.
Students will be challenged to apply their growing understanding of grammar to the creation of sentences, paragraphs, and compositions. Students will be implementing grammar, spelling and usage rules when editing their own written work as well as the written work of others. Language and higher-level thinking skills will be developed and supported in this interactive, small-group intervention that covers research-based writing content while mediation, Socratic questioning, and the strengthening of cognitive functions will serve as the core methodology. In this dynamic intervention, students’ written expression skills will be honed while their thinking and language skills will be strengthened, all within an atmosphere where writing skills are explicitly taught so anxiety and reluctance to write are reduced and thinking is maximized.
Successful completion of this course will enable the participant to better understand student needs in written expression based on the sub-types of written language disorders and understand how to strengthen grammar, writing mechanics, semantics, syntax and composition skills while also learning how to utilize the group model for Rx for Discovery Writing to inspire reluctant and struggling writers to enjoy the writing process and the ability to communicate their own ideas in written form.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
- Acquire an understanding of the characteristics of students who struggle with written language disorders
- Articulate how the components of written language are related: handwriting, spelling, and composition of thought processes
- Design a writing intervention plan and implement techniques that meet the specific needs of a group of struggling writers for grades 4-12
- Communicate and implement the theories of mediated learning in a group setting
There are no prerequisites BUT there are preparatory assignments and required materials to purchase. Click the “Pre-assignments” tab and also the workshop syllabus for more information.
- Click above to download the workshop syllabus for a detailed list of all of your pre-workshop assignments and required materials to purchase. The articles referenced in the syllabus can be accessed via the following links:
- Handwriting is Boeing 747 Technology
- Why Writing by Hand Could Make You Smarter
- How Quality of Writing Instruction Impacts High-risk Fourth Graders’ Writing
- Writing Next
- Writing to Read
Spring – Writing Standard Central: March 18 https://nild.stellarwebsystems.com/join?euuid=974970be-7a47-11ed-9cac-16118fddfe69
Writing Standard Eastern: June 24 https://nild.stellarwebsystems.com/join?euuid=a176f221-a310-11ed-9cac-16118fddfe69
Writing Standard Central A: July 8 https://nild.stellarwebsystems.com/join?euuid=3904298c-a311-11ed-9cac-16118fddfe69
Writing Standard Central B: August 12 https://nild.stellarwebsystems.com/join?euuid=9a83819c-a312-11ed-9cac-16118fddfe69